Canadian Designated Learning Institutions (DLI)
All main and secondary colleges in Canada are DLIs. Put up-secondary colleges should obtain permission from the provincial authorities to just accept international students.
If you wish to come to Canada to check on the post-secondary degree, ensure that your faculty and program of study is on this listing of Canadian DLIs.
If you wish to keep in Canada after you graduate, be sure that to pick a DLI that may permit you to qualify for a Put up-Graduation Work Permit.
Turning into a global pupil in Canada is a two-step process.
Read also: Visitor to Canada Health Insurance
First, it’s essential be accepted right into a Canadian school, or designated studying institution. After you have a letter of acceptance, you may apply for a research permit from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
In case you are issued a study permit, it’s on the idea of your acceptance right into a Canadian faculty. Nonetheless, in case you are learning on the post-secondary degree, you may change your faculty, program, discipline of research, or degree of research while not having to use for a brand new research allow.
When you’re accepted into this system you need to switch into, you simply have to notify IRCC if you have modified colleges. You are able to do that on-line by means of your MyCIC account.
Read also: Super Visa Insurance Canada
Designated Learning Institution Number
Each post-secondary faculty that admits worldwide college students has a novel DLI quantity. The DLI quantity could be discovered on the research allow utility kind. It’s the quantity that begins with the letter “O”.
If you wish to come to Canada as an international pupil, first be certain that your faculty is on the listing of Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs).
Colleges with a number of campuses or smaller schools might have a special DLI quantity for every location.
Read also: Express Entry Canada: simple immigration guide
Non DLI Schools
If a faculty just isn’t designated by its provincial or territorial authority as a DLI, then it isn’t eligible to host international college students.
Should you submit a study permit utility for a non-DLI faculty, will probably be refused. If the college you might be learning at loses its DLI standing, you may stay on the faculty till your study permit expires. In any other case, chances are you’ll or switch to an alternate DLI.
Read also: Documents you need when you arrive in Canada
Primary and Secondary Schools
In Canada, all main and secondary colleges are DLIs.
In most provinces, these colleges provide training from Grade One to Grade Twelve. When a student graduates from secondary school they obtain their high school diploma.
Dependent minor kids don’t want a research allow. You probably have minor kids and are coming to Canada on a piece or study permit, they are going to be eligible to attend faculty. There is no want to use for a separate study permit.
Read also: How to ship your household goods to Canada
How to Change a Canadian DLI Number
If a foreign national is learning in Canada on a legitimate study permit, they’re permitted to vary their degree of research, establishment of study, and/or program of study. Nonetheless, relying on the supposed change, they could must notify the suitable immigration authority, apply for a brand new study permit or get a study permit extension.
Read also: Arriving in Canada as a new immigrant : Best Guide
If a global pupil chooses to vary packages inside the similar designated learning institution (DLI), there isn’t a requirement to vary their study permit or contact IRCC to replace them of the adjustments. There are, nevertheless, just a few exceptions to this:
- If the foreign nationwide’s study permit has sure circumstances listed on it and if these circumstances will probably be affected by the change in packages, then they need to contact IRCC to replace them with the adjustments.
- If the foreign national switches to a program of longer length than the validity of their research allow, then they must apply to increase their study permit earlier than the unique expiration date.
Read also: Foreign Account Reporting for Americans in Canada
If a global pupil chooses to switch establishments inside the similar degree of research, then they don’t seem to be required to acquire a brand new study permit, however they’re required to contact IRCC and notify them of the change in establishments. The scholar should be certain that the brand new establishment is a designated learning institution (DLI), since non-DLI colleges aren’t eligible to host international students.
If a foreign national needs to switch from an establishment outdoors of the province of Quebec to an establishment contained in the province of Quebec, they must receive a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) earlier than they will switch. It is because the province of Quebec has distinctive necessities for worldwide students.
Read also: Utilities in Canada
Changing Level of Study
Relying on the degree of research for a foreign national, it might be obligatory to acquire a brand new study permit or to tell IRCC of adjustments. Under are the frequent adjustments between ranges of research:
- Changing from primary education to secondary education: It’s not obligatory to acquire a brand new research allow. If, in making this modification, the coed is transferring from one establishment to a different, they need to contact IRCC to replace their establishment of research.
- Observe: If a minor youngster is accompanying a mother or father or guardian who possesses a legitimate work or study permit, then the kid doesn’t require a research allow on the main and secondary faculty ranges.
Read also: Working in a Good regulated occupation in Canada
- Changing from secondary training to post-secondary training: It’s obligatory to acquire a brand new research allow from IRCC when switching from a secondary to post-secondary degree of training.
- Changing from one post-secondary degree to a different post-secondary degree: It’s not obligatory to acquire a brand new research allow if switching between totally different post-secondary ranges of training (for instance, from a Bachelor’s Diploma to a Grasp’s Diploma). Nonetheless, if the coed is altering colleges, or if the change in packages will have an effect on the length of study and/or the circumstances listed on the permit, then the coed ought to take the suitable motion as indicated above.
Read also: Choosing the right study program in Canada
Transferring to a School in Quebec
The province of Quebec reserves extra control over authorization of international students than Canada’s different provinces and territories. Because of this, there is an additional step concerned with acquiring a research allow for an establishment in Quebec. Earlier than making use of for a study permit, first a foreign national should receive a certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ). Solely after the coed has obtained a CAQ can they submit their study permit utility.
This CAQ requirement will have an effect on international students wishing to switch from an establishment situated outdoors of Quebec to an establishment situated inside Quebec. With a view to make such a switch, the coed would first must receive a CAQ from the Quebec authorities. As soon as they’ve a CAQ, there may be often no want to use for a brand new study permit. Nonetheless the coed ought to replace IRCC with their new info.
Read also: Travel Insurance for a Smooth Journey to Canada
International nationals wishing to switch from one Quebec establishment to a different Quebec establishment might have to receive a brand new CAQ for research if they fall below one of many following classes:
- If the coed is altering their degree of research, they need to receive a brand new CAQ.
- If a international national’s research prolong past the expiry date indicated on the CAQ, they need to apply for a new CAQ.
If transferring establishments or packages will have an effect on the circumstances listed on the CAQ, they need to contact the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI) and will have to receive a brand new CAQ.
Read also: Moving to Canada with an arts degree
Changing a DLI: Step by Step
So long as you might be nonetheless assembly the circumstances of your study permit, you may change your DLI.
To do that, you have to:
- An online account. Should you submitted your study permit utility by mail, you have to to create an online account and hyperlink your utility.
- Your study permit quantity. You could find this on the prime proper of the research allow. It begins with the letter ‘S’.
- Your new faculty’s DLI quantity.
- Your new pupil ID quantity. You can find this on the acceptance letter out of your new faculty
- Your begin date at your new faculty.
Read also: Great Open Work Permit for Canada
Now that you’ve got all the mandatory paperwork, you’re prepared to start the method. Comply with these steps to vary your DLI:
Step 1: Register to your account
Step 2: Discover the part Designated Learning Institution Student Switch and click on Switch from DLI quantity.
Step 3: Enter your study permit utility quantity and click on Search for my application.
Read also: Canadian Citizenship Eligibility
Step 4: Enter extra particulars about your original study permit utility.
Step 5: Enter your new DLI quantity, your new Scholar ID quantity, and your begin date at your new faculty. Click on Submit transfer.
Step 6: Review the small print of your switch. If all the data is right, click on Confirm Transfer.
Step 7: You should obtain a notification that your transfer is full. This confirms that you have notified the Canadian government of your intention to change DLIs.
The Great Canadian Education System
The Canada Immigration Levels Plan: 2022-2024
Canada’s Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)
Canadian travel insurance for European travellers to Canada